A kingfisher was not only spotted but photographed on the lake yesterday.
Our thanks to the |Angling Club chairman Scott Holland for this great photo. We have had reports of a kingfisher in the park before but never seen a picture….. until now!
Sometime in the next few weeks the lake will be dredged at what we call ‘Pongy Corner’ – where all the rubbish gets blown.
Please be aware that the footpath around that area will be cordoned off while the work takes place. Any queries should be directed to Doncaster Council.
The Angling Club have alerted the council and environment Agency to the possibility of Blue Geen Algae in Sandall park Lake.
The Council have released the following pres release. The park and lake is owned by the council and all inquiries should be directed to them at customer.Service@doncaster.gov.uk
Doncaster Council is advising residents to stay away from the lake at Sandall Park following an outbreak of Blue Green Algae.
Visitors to Sandall Park must not go in or near the water, or let their dogs drink or go in the water.
Although the algae in Sandall Park has not yet been confirmed as toxic, potential illnesses from toxic blue green algae include skin rashes, eye irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and muscle and joint pain have occurred in people who’ve swallowed or swam through algal scum.
Pet owners should also keep their animals away from affected waters – the algae may also be toxic to animals and can cause severe illness and death.
Councillor Chris McGuinness, Doncaster Council Cabinet Member for the Environment, said: “Since the outbreak was identified we have put up warning signs at Sandall Park as a precautionary measure and have been on site to speak visitors about the dangers of going in the water.
“It has not yet been confirmed if the algae in Sandall Park is toxic so we are currently taking full precautions and are working closely with the Environment Agency to investigate further.
“It is vitally important that visitors to the park do not enter the lake or let their dogs drink or go in the water. We do not want to cause unnecessary alarm, however it is better to be safe than sorry.”
A spokesperson for the Environment Agency, said: “Following a period of warm, calm weather, it is not uncommon to see Blue Green Algae. The algae can produce toxins which are harmful to animals and can cause rashes and illness in humans.
“You can’t tell if an algal bloom is toxic just by looking at it, so it’s safest to assume it is. Keep pets and children away from the water and avoid skin contact with the water or algae. If members of the public are concerned about any algae they can report it to the Environment Agency incident hotline on 0800 80 70 60.”
Due to the terrible situation with the condition of the lake, and the devastating impact it had on our duck population, it has been necessary to purchase an aerator to pump the water round the lake. This is in addition to the existing fountain which couldn’t cope with the entire lake.
The cost of this (£925) has severely depleted our funds which are used to regenerate the park.
All our funds go back in to the park – we donated over £4000 to the Woodland Adventure Play area phase 1 and substantial amounts to other play areas.
If you witnessed the plight of the ducks (and even if you didn’t) we hope you will help us in our quest to recoup some of this cost. Thank you for your continued support.
CLICK HERE to make a donation.
This is the latest on the lake crisis: Dave Wilkinson, Assistant Director for Trading and Property Services, said:
“The Animal and Plant Health Agency have now confirmed that the ducks at Sandall Park have died from a toxin that is produced by decaying vegetation at the bottom of the lake, made worse by the hot weather. The ducks have been feeding on the rotting vegetation and the toxin is poisoning them.
“We are working closely with the Friends of Sandall Park and the Angling club to ensure all dead and sick animals are removed from the lake and the area is safe for all visitors. If you do see sick or injured ducks or other wildlife, please contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.”
This is information about what’s caused it all: type C avian botulism comes from a bacteria that grows in lake sediment and outbreaks are more common during spells of very warm weather. Avian botulism has never been reported to be associated with human disease and the risk to human health from Type C botulism is therefore considered to be very low. Nick Wellington has spoken to APHA’ wildfowl expert who confirms that the spell of hot weather has caused similar incidents across the country. APHA continue to recommend that anyone handling affected birds should undertake appropriate personal hygiene measures (including thorough handwashing and not touching face).
Outbreaks of avian botulism can last for several weeks and may recur. If anyone is interested in more information about Avian botulism the APHA guidance is very good: http://apha.defra.gov.uk/…/surv…/diseases/avian-botulism.pdf
We have managed to get an update on the duck situation. It is duck/goose related ONLY.
It is not known exactly what it is yet, possibly aviation botchulism but cannot be confirmed until further tests have been conducted at Thirsk. Humans are not in any danger – usual hygiene is all that is required. If you have been near the lake, touched any ducks or whatever WASH YOUR HANDS. Don’t let children touch anything (they tend to put hands in mouth) and if they do – wash their hands. Dogs are not in any danger but should be kept on a lead.
It is safe to visit the park, but we re-iterate – personal hygiene should be observed. It would be advisable not to feed the ducks and geese at this time. As soon as the illness is confirmed we will let you know.
Sandra, Chairman FoSP.